Dirty Air Will Be Harmful to Children This Weekend
The Southwest Ohio Air Quality Agency (a division of Hamilton County Department of Environmental Services) has issued a SMOG ALERT for the Southwest Ohio region including Loveland.
The Agency expects to see levels of ozone in the “unhealthy for sensitive groups” range on the Air Quality Index (AQI).
Precautions to Take This Weekend
Active children and adults, and people with respiratory disease, such as asthma, should avoid all outdoor exertion; everyone else, especially children, should limit outdoor exertion.
You are urged to do the following this weekend to help reduce air pollution:
- Combining trips or eliminating unnecessary vehicle trips
- Do not idle your vehicle
- Walk, bike, or inline skate on short trips
- Refuel your vehicle after 8 PM
- Do not use gasoline-powered lawn equipment
- Don't top off your tank when fueling
- Conserve electricity
- Do not use oil-based paints and stains
- Keeping your vehicle maintained
- Spread the word
Children are particularly vulnerable to air pollution because they breathe faster than adults and inhale more air per pound of body weight.