Heavy ice & winds will hit the Tri-State tonight. Activate your Family Plan & prepare for power outages.
There could be significant ice accumulations up to a quarter inch in southern Ohio. The impact of ice and winds could potentially cause power outages across the Tri-State.
Here are some tips to keep you safe and warm until power is restored:
• Listen to battery-powered radio for updated information
• Wear layers of warm clothing including hats and gloves
• Unplug unnecessary appliances to prevent power surges
• Use flashlights and keep extra batteries on hand. Do not use candles as they pose fire hazards.
• Keep non-perishable foods on hand
• When possible – check on elderly family members and neighbors to make sure they are warm and have plenty of food and water.
• If using a generator, do not run inside a home or garage. Don’t plug emergency generators into electric outlets or hook them directly to your homes electrical system – as they can feed electricity back into the power lines, putting you and the line workers in danger.
For additional information on how to prepare a family plan “before” a winter power outage or other disaster, visit our website at www.hamiltoncountyohioema.org.
For up to date information and warnings follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Nixle.
Text "HCONOTIFY" to 888777
Sign up for our New Emergency Notification System (HCoNotify)
for tornado warnings, missing persons and other urgent alerts