200 South Lebanon Road Loveland, Ohio 45140
KATHRYN LOUISE GRAHAM UNDERCOFFER’S
100th BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION
Kathryn Undercoffer in the 2013 July 4th Parade in Loveland
Loveland, Ohio, The Community of Loveland, various National Organizations, and friends from out of town will come together with her family to celebrate the 100th Birthday of Loveland resident, Kathryn Louise Graham Undercoffer.
This celebration will begin with an Open House on the grounds of the family’s home at 200 South Lebanon Road in Loveland, Ohio starting at 1 PM and ending at 4 PM. The family expects 200 to 300 members of the community and out of town guests to attend. The family home is next to the Loveland Safety Service Center.
A formal program that will begin at 3 PM, where various speakers, representing Undercoffer’s life accomplishments and experiences will speak:
- Tim Burke, Chair of the Hamilton County Democratic Party will discuss Kathryn’s and her husband John’s political partnership.
- The Reverend Damon Lynch, Jr. will remember their work in establishing the Federal HEAD START program in Loveland (1st year funded).
- Warren “Buddy” Bryan ’71 of the VMI Foundation (Virginia Military Institute) will honor Kathryn for being the first woman/mother appointed to the Institute’s Parents Council in 1973. (It was an all-male institution until 1997).
- Chad Hilliker, Superintendent of the Loveland City School District will note Kathryn’s career as a 1st grade school teacher and President of the Loveland Education Association.
- Government Officials from the City of Loveland will speak about Kathryn’s contributions to the city, culminating with the Mayor, Linda Cox, presenting her a Proclamation from the City.
The celebration of Undercoffer’s life actually began on April 30 in San Antonio, Texas at the National Convention of the American Red Cross Overseas Association when she was honored at the opening night dinner. The next event to honor Undercoffer will be on the evening of October 3, by the American Red Cross Tiffany Circle at their capstone event, the Chairman’s Dinner, which will take place at the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery in Washington, DC.
The Undercoffer bio provided by her daughter
MARRIED – John Lewis Undercoffer on March 29, 1941 – Community Leader; Attorney with offices in Loveland and Cincinnati; Solicitor for City of Loveland; Attorney for Loveland School District; Member of law firm – Kruse, Outcalt, and Undercoffer; and in World War II, Field Director, American Red Cross (only ARC Official with General Patton’s invasion of North Africa; served also in Hawaii and Guam)
Three (3) SONS and One (1) DAUGHTER
- John Thomas – “Tom” – VMI Class of 1956 – Lt.Col. , U.S. Army – Career – Development of Military Drones – Deceased 2011;
- Graham Lewis – “Red” – VMI Class of 1974 – Captain, Green Beret, U.S. Army; Specialist on Middle Eastern Affairs, U.S. State Dept.; Consultant, U.S. State Dept.;
- Bruce William – VMI Class of 1976 – 1st Lt., 82nd Air Borne, U.S. Army – Killed in Automobile Accident – 1978; and
- Martha Jane – Grants/Bids Writer
Three (3) GRANDSONS and One (1) GRANDDAUGHTER
- Andrew C. C. Undercoffer– Graduate of Virginia Tech.- Mechanical Engineer;
- Brian G.J. Undercoffer -.Graduate of Virginia Tech. – Aeronautical Engineer;
- Cole R.A. Undercoffer – Present Student at Virginia Tech;
- Caitlin T. T. Undercoffer – Present Student at Virginia Tech.
- Whittier Elementary School, Cincinnati
- Western Hills High School, Cincinnati, graduated in 1933
- Western Kentucky Teachers College, attended 1933 – 1934
- (Now Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green, KY) Teaching Certificate
- Miami University, Oxford, Ohio – graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Education in 1972
- Also attended University of Cincinnati and Chase Law School
1959 – Worthy Matron, Loveland Chapter #289
1959-60, 1964-66 – Order of the Eastern Star Loveland Woman’s Club, President, Chartered Loveland Jr. Woman’s Club – 1960, Established Loveland Children’s Dental Clinic
1964 – Started Federal HEAD START program in Loveland (1st year funded)
1968 – President, Hayes Family Reunion
1965 – 1980 – Although Kathryn started her teaching career prior to her husband’s sudden death in 1969; this career became the family’s only source of income and allowed her to provide for their three (3) young children. She taught 16 years as a 1st Grade teacher in the Loveland City School District until retirement.
1973 -74 – President, Loveland Education Association (Teachers’ Union)
1973 -76 – Virginia Military Institute Parents Council. 1st Woman appointed to the Council. She organized the Mothers of the student body (Cadets) to raise funds, as their Bicentennial gift to the Institute, to replace a historic and costly reproduction of the flag carried by the Corps of Cadets into the battle of New Market on May 15, 1864, and for the student Library. This was the first and only time this had been done.
1987 -88 – Member of Design Committee for Loveland’s Plaque Commemorating Ohio’s Bicentennial.
1987 – 88 – Member of Design Committee to design a permanent panel depicting Loveland highlights in photos and text
1987 -88 – President, Greater Loveland Historical Society Museum. Historian, Loveland United Methodist Church.
1973 -76 – First Woman to serve on Parents’ Council of Virginia Military Institute
1976 – Named Martha Holden Jennings Scholar
1986 – Nominated as a Paul Revere Patriot by the American Red Cross Overseas Association’s Philadelphia Group. Awarded the Order of Paul Revere Patriots by Michael S. Dukakis, Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
1993 – Presented American Red Cross Overseas Association’s Condict Award for years of service as Volunteer Editor of The Oversea’r
2003 – Named a Loveland Valentine Lady by the Loveland Area Chamber of Commerce
2011 – Elected Honorary Life Member of American Red Cross Overseas Association for 40 years’ service as Editor of their newsletter The Oversea’r
2013 – Presented Louis G. Rockwood Community Volunteer Service Award by the City of Loveland
- American Red Cross Overseas Assn.
- The Cincinnati Woman’s Club
- Clan Graham Society
- Daughters of the American Revolution
- Greater Loveland Historical Society Museum
- Hamilton County Retired Teachers Assn.
- Loveland Area Chamber of Commerce
- Loveland Chapter.No. 289, Order of the Eastern Star Loveland Past Matrons
- Loveland Retired Teachers
- Loveland Schools Foundation
- Loveland United Methodist Church
- Loveland Valentine Ladies
- Loveland Woman’s Club
- P.E.O., Chapter A
- Unterkoflers of America
- Virginia Military Institute Foundation