If you are a Service member or Veteran in crisis or you’re concerned about one, there are specially trained responders ready to help you, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. The Veterans Crisis Line connects Service members and Veterans in crisis, as well as their family members and friends, with qualified, caring VA responders through a confidential toll-free hotline, online chat, or text-messaging service.
- Dial 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1 to talk to someone.
- Send a text message to 838255 to connect with a VA responder.
- Start a confidential online chat session at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.
- Take a self-check quiz at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Quiz to learn whether stress and depression might be affecting you.
- Find a VA facility near you.
- Visit MilitaryCrisisLine.net if you are an active duty Service member, Guardsman, or Reservist.
- Connect through chat, text, or TTY if you are deaf or hard of hearing.
We can all help prevent suicide, but many people don’t know how to support the Veteran or Service member in their life who is going through a difficult time. A simple act of kindness can help someone feel less alone. Explore the #BeThere site for ways to show support.
“Behind the Scenes” provides a look into one of the three Veterans Crisis Line call centers, where qualified, caring responders answer the calls of Veterans, Service members, and their families and friends in times of crisis. In the video, VA responders, some of them Veterans themselves, share their stories and experiences in providing vital support and referrals for Veterans and their loved ones. The Veterans Crisis Line connects members of the military community with trained VA responders through a confidential, toll-free hotline, online chat, and text-messaging service.