by Cassie Mattia
“Breakfast is the most important meal of the day,” said my Dad to me every single morning as I was growing up. Did I believe him? Well of course not, I was a teenager who thought she knew everything!
Once I got older and decided to become Vegan in 2015 I began to research food and why each and everything you put into your mouth and what time of day you do so is essential to your well-being. I learned that Breakfast is responsible for “breaking” (hence Break-Fast) the body’s overnight fasting period. Breakfast not only reloads your body with glucose but also jump-starts your energy levels, forces you to be alert, and gives you the essential nutrients your body needs to succeed.
So how does one make a healthy, simple, fast Breakfast without having to get up 2 hours before the alarm clock goes off? I have spent quite some time developing healthy meals for those individuals such as myself that have a busy lifestyle and need that extra 2 hours to get the proper rest they need to fuel through the day. Of course, that doesn’t mean you have to skip Breakfast!
Here is one delicious yet simple Breakfast that will give you the energy you need to get through your morning!
Cassie’s Avocado Herb Bagel
Yield: Serves 1 Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes
1 Rosemary and Thyme Bagel
1 Tablespoon of Plant-Based Butter
1 Medium Avocado
1 Teaspoon of Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
1 Teaspoon of Black Pepper
3 Basil Leaves (Chopped)
3 Cilantro Leaves (Chopped)
2 Lemon Head Leaves (Chopped)
- Grab your Rosemary and Thyme Bagel and slice it in half. Next place both halves of the Bagel in a Toaster Oven or Toaster on Medium Heat for 3-4 minutes.
- While your Bagel is toasting, measure out a Tablespoon of Plant-Based Butter and let it sit out so that it will more easily spread on the Bagel.
- Next, take your medium Avocado and cut it in half. Use the sharp edge of your knife to take out the pit then spoon out the Avocado and place it in a mixing bowl. Throw away the Avocado skin and pit.
- Take a fork or Avocado “masher” and mash the Avocado until you achieve a creamy smooth texture.
- Then measure out a Teaspoon of Pink Himalayan Sea Salt and a Teaspoon of Ground Black Pepper and mix until equally distributed throughout the Avocado mixture.
- Collect your 3 Basil leaves, 3 Cilantro leaves, and 2 Lemon Head leaves and chop them up finely. Add your herbs to the Avocado mixture and stir until evenly distributed.
- Take your toasted Bagel and spread the Tablespoon of Plant-Based Butter and the Avocado mixture evenly on both halves of the Bagel.
- Finally, plate your Avocado Herb Bagel masterpiece, snap a photo to share with the world, and take a bite!
For more healthy, simple, and quick recipes stay tuned to the Loveland Salad With Me, Cassie Mattia!
Columnist Cassie Mattia is a resident of Historic Downtown Loveland. She is the Associate Editor of Loveland Magazine and our Director of Marketing. Contact Cassie if you are interested in promoting your event or business in Loveland Magazine. Cassie also Emcee’s events so feel free to reach out if you are in need of an Emcee for your next event, fundraiser, or sports-related competition.