Photographer Scott Carney painted his photograph of the Ross Log Cabin in Symmes Township’s Meade Property on Lebanon Road. Scott calls it, “The ol’ cabin at the Meade Property Park.”
MORE ABOUT THE ROSS FAMILY LOG HOUSE MUSEUM on the Meade Property in Symmes Township
The Symmes Township Historical Society and the Symmes Township Board of Trustees joined together to guarantee that this historic 1830’s two-story (20’ x 24’) log house is restored for future generations to enjoy. The Society entered into a long-term lease with Symmes Township which allowed for the log house to be reconstructed on a portion of the Township’s historic Meade House property at 11887 Lebanon Road.
The Society received a $100,000 grant from the Ohio Cultural Facility Commission, but bringing this history to life through restoration required the support of many other individuals and groups. The Society is thankful for all the donations received for this project. Everyone’s contribution, no matter how large or small, was important.
This 2-story log home was originally located at the corner of Rich Road and Mulberry Street. The Society believes John and Mary Ross built the log house about 1836. In the 1830’s there were no “building permits” issued so it’s hard to know for certain. But when the Ross’ purchased the 137-acre tract they had 8 children. This house is 20′ x 24′ and is a full 2-story log house. The size of the house would have accommodated the family and the Society’s research to date points to this family as builders of the log structure.
John Ross’ parents, John and Jeannette Ross, were natives of Ireland who settled in Juniate County, PA. In 1812 they emigrated with their 11 children to 20-Mile Stand in Warren County. The elder John Ross was a Revolutionary War soldier. The Ross family helped organize the Somerset Presbyterian Church (the church building has been moved to Sharon Woods Village). John and Jeannette are buired in the Township’s Union Cemetery.
The original log home had an interior chimney. This is somehwat unusual but a feature that would have kept the house warmer in the winter months. The beams are hand hewn and the 2nd level had the original floorboards. There would have been a privy and a smokehouse/cookhouse also on the site. An unusual feature of the house is the front door, which is no higher than six (6) feet. Why such a short main entrance to the house – were people really shorter 180 years ago?